Civil wedding ceremonies in Italy are performed by mayors or other authorised officials of the Italian state. There is no residency requirement in Italy, however, in many locations you are required to sign a Declaration of Intention to Marry two to four days prior to your marriage ceremony. These proceedings are in Italian, so unless you are fluent in Italian, an approved interpreter will be required.

In order for your marriage to be celebrated in Italy the following documents will be required a minimum of one month prior to your arrival:

  • Original or certified copies of your long form birth certificates.
  • Nulla Osta (the civil letter of freedom to marry) which can be obtained, depending on your nationality, from your consulate or Department of Foreign Affairs.
  • Photocopy of bride’s and groom’s passport.
  • Photocopy of the passports of your two witnesses with details of their marital status, occupation and place of residence.

If either the bride or groom have been previously married the following documents will also be required:

  • Certified copy of previous marriage certificate(s).
  • Original divorce (decree absolute) or death certificate(s) of previous spouse(s).
  • If either party had a name change, the original deed poll will be required.
  • Should the names on any documents differ; a solicitor’s letter will be required.

Additional Paperwork is Needed for Catholic Church Weddings In Italy: 

A Catholic Wedding Ceremony can only be celebrated in a Catholic Church in Italy (as with most other countries). It can be celebrated between members of different faiths provided one partner is Catholic. A Letter of Dispensation is required from your local parish priest and bishop to marry a non-Catholic and also to marry in another parish/country.

For a Catholic wedding in Italy you need the same paperwork as listed for Civil Ceremonies PLUS the following documents will be required a minimum of one month prior to your arrival

  • Baptism Certificate
  • Confirmation Certificate
  • Certificate of Pre-Marriage Course
  • Religious Nulla Osta from your bishop
  • Letter of Dispensation from your parish priest


Religious documents are only valid for six months and must be in the parish in Italy at least 30 days before the wedding day.


Humanist, Blessings & Vow Renewals

If you wish to have a blessing in Italy and the civil marriage in your own country this can be arranged. There is no required paperwork for this as it is not a legally binding ceremony.

Please note: This is a guide. Procedures above may change or vary depending on nationality. Documents and residency requirements are subject to change. Please check with your Italian Embassy for a full list of required documents.