The Wedding Planner in Ireland answers your questions:  I’m getting married abroad and I have been requested to get a Certificates of Nulla Osta – What is this and where do I get it in Ireland?

A Certificate of Freedom to marry (also known as ‘Civil Letters of Freedom’, “Certificates de Coutume” or “Certificates of Nulla Osta”) which states that a person is not married, may be needed for marriage in some foreign countries. Irish citizens living in Ireland wishing to obtain such a Certificate should apply to the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs, 72/76 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Tel.: (01) 4082568. Irish Citizens living abroad should contact their nearest Irish Embassy.  Apply for it as soon as you have your wedding date set and allow plenty of time for them to respond.

Note 2016+  weddings: This post was written in 2008. Please Contact Rosie The Wedding Planner for an Update about legal wedding paperwork needed for wedding abroad. 🙂